The Korean name for the Beautiful Foundation is Areumdaun Jaedan. “Areumdaun” is a Korean word, normally translated into “beautiful” in English, and “Jaedan” means “foundation.” When you put those words together, you read it as the Beautiful Foundation. However, Areum, a part of the word “Areumdaun,” also has its own meaning, which is the amount that a person can embrace in his or her arms, such as a basket of fruit. When you add Daun, the rest of the word “Areumdaun”, you arrive at the proper amount of richness or affluence for one person. This interpretation leads us to reach the realization that others should be given the opportunity to enjoy fruit with us in the world, and furthermore, they have the same value as us.
The true meaning of the idea that others have the same value as ourselves can only be understood by treating others as we would treat ourselves. This is true beauty. When we consider our neighborhoods, and the world that we live in, as being in us, as part of who we are, this beauty turns into love. The combination of this love with a generous heart leads to sharing with others. This is the spirit of the Beautiful Foundation. The Beautiful Foundation aids in the creation of a more affluent world. It is clear that individuals cannot simply focus on accumulation of their own wealth, engaging in unfair and corrupt practices in order to enhance their own affluence, while leaving others within the grasp of crushing poverty. Conflict and a multitude of social ills are the result of this course of action.
The Beautiful Foundation also aims at a just society. A society with unequal affluence is unjust. A justly affluent society must consist of honest, devoted, diligent, and caring individuals providing aid and assistance to the underprivileged, the disenfranchised, and those who fall through the cracks.
Mission & Vision
The Beautiful Foundation is a nonprofit organization led by the voluntary participation of citizens in sharing. It was established in August, 2000, with the purpose of spreading a mature philanthropic culture and supporting neighbors in community and public-benefit activities.
MissionMaking sharing a part of life for a society thriving together
The Beautiful Foundation pursues the society where everyone practices the value of sharing in everyday life and individuals and community thrive together.
The diffusion of giving culture by acting citizens
Sharing is the value that enriches our everyday life and changes the society. The Beautiful Foundation wishes to be the most trustworthy partner of donors, one who dreams of a warm and just society and practices the value of sharing in various ways.
Incubation of new ideas for sustainable public-benefit activities
Public-Benefit Activities are activities that change the social patterns in a positive way for a better society. The Beautiful Foundation finds and supports public-benefit activities that resolve social problems as well as make individuals’ lives better in a creative way.
Based upon the “Transparency Program” that it instituted in accounting for the first time as a Korean nonprofit organization, the Beautiful Foundation has let an external accounting firm audit it since its establishment, and anyone can access the financial and managerial information of the Foundation. The funds raised by the Foundation are being distributed only through the objective and fair screening and evaluation of the Grantmaking Committee composed of external experts. Also, the Foundation is trying to be a trustworthy foundation by publishing annual reports and regularly reporting fund status to its donors. The Beautiful Foundation is creating an honest and clean philanthropic culture by transparent fund management and information disclosure.
The Beautiful Foundation supports creative public-benefit activities that enhance the quality of life of all citizens. It finds the roots of social problems and resolves them. Also, the Foundation sympathizes with the pain of others and realizes the value of public interest based upon which the community is willing to assume a responsibility for resolving the problems of individuals and groups. It does this through the 1% Sharing Campaign that arouses civic consciousness and creates changes of everyday life.
Sharing is the social value in which givers and recipients encourage and empower each other. The Beautiful Foundation guides donors to various venues for donating with regard to knowledge of their life history and understanding of personal situations. In addition,, the Foundation makes its best efforts to fully respect the human rights and privacy of recipients during the process by which helping hands reach them.
Seeds of givingWe associate trees with vitality, life, and giving.
It is these attributes that the Beautiful Foundation hopes to promote through all of its programs and initiatives. The orange color in the logo represents maturity and health. This tree is not like other trees in the sense that it has seeds sprouting from its branches, not leaves. In time, each seed descends from the tree to the earth and grows into another tree. Growth quickly becomes exponential. Giving works in much the same way. The gift of one individual, no matter what the size is, has a ripple effect upon society. Giving begets goodness and more giving. The Beautiful Foundation is not made up of one person, one corporation, or one group. It includes every person who engages in small acts of sharing for their neighborhood and society.
The Beautiful Foundation was created and sustained by the passionate hopes and empathy of ordinary people. The Foundation is owned by these beautiful people who contribute what they have earned though their sweat and hard work, preciously sharing all they can.
- The First Donor Grandmother Kim-GunJa departed her life
- Park-Jongmun is inaugurated as Chairman
- Park-Heeok is inaugurated as Executive Director
- Korea First ‘Youth Grantmaking Committee’ is launched
- Supporting public-benefit activity ‘Synario of Change’ extended grantee to civic association
‘Window of Asia’ Opens
- Research and seminar is conducted of
- Civil Society and Whistle-blower support campaign
- [Philanthropy and Philanthropy Sector], the 11th volume in the Foundation's philanthropic publishing series is published
- The 17th Symposium on Giving Culture Giving Korea
- Philanthropy Knowledge Network ‘Present and Future of NPO observed by Index’ is held
- Dasomi <2017 Dasomi Hope Santa> event is held.
- <Housing support on adolescents for life after foster care> is started.
- [Generosity Network], the 9th volume in the Foundation's philanthropic publishing series and the 9th translated work (into Korean) is published.
- <Project for Undocumented Children Childcare> is started.
- <Project for delinquent of Health Insurance> is started.
- <Meet the Author> NPO Fundraising Online Seminar is held.
- <Project for Supporting Whistle-Blower> is started.
- [First-Birthday Sharing Campaign] event proceeds with Pororo Park.
- [Outcome Framework], the 10th volume in the Foundation's philanthropic publishing series and the 10th translated work (into Korean) is published.
- Fundraising Campaign to gain health right <60days Health Insurance> is proceed.
- The 16th Symposium on Giving Culture Giving Korea <Private Giving and Comparative Analysis between Citizens and Fund-raisers>.
- Planned Research Series by The Center on Philanthropy, [Historic Change and Current State Analysis on the ACT ON COLLECTION AND USE OF DONATIONS] is published.
- <NPO and Outcome> Philanthropy Knowledge Network Forum is held.
- Dasomi [2016 Dasomi Hope Santa] event is held.
- “The 300th Branch of Hope Store”, start-up business assistance program for low-income single mothers is launched.
- Regular giving 1% monthly sharing <Steady> campaign is started
- Youth Philanthropy <Bandi> is newly started
- [7 Faces of Philanthropy], the 8th volume in the Foundation's philanthropic publishing series and the 8th translated work (into Korean) is published
- Barrier-Free playground <Wiggle Wiggle Playground> is built
- The Beautiful Foundation 15th Anniversary <The Seeds of Change We‘ve Sown> is held
- The 15th Symposium on Giving Culture Giving Korea <2014 Corporation Giving and Analysis on 10 years CSR in Korea>.
- Life cycle giving <The Beautiful Day> is started
- <I want to go home>Campaign proceeds for housing vulnerable people.
- Planned Research Series by The Center on Philanthropy, [Foundation and Accountability] is published.
- Dasomi [2015 Dasomi Hope Santa] event is held.
- <Yellow Envelope Campaign> to support workers and their family who suffered from compensation and provisional seizure.
- <Remember0416 Campaign> proceeds to build infrastructure for cure and social document about Sewol-Ferry disaster.
- Support project for master doctorate dissertation is started to enhancing giving culture.
- <Marginalized youth support project> is started as a new project on dreaming next-generation.
- The 14th Symposium on Giving Culture, Giving Korea is held.
- Planned Research Series by The Center on Philanthropy, [Study on Fund-raiser’s Ethical Dilemma] is published.
- Dasomi [2014 Dasomi Hope Santa] event is held.
- ‘Philanthropy Culture Collection’ section is set in Seoul Metropolitan Library by donation of The Beautiful Foundation.
- The Beautiful Foundation wins The 19th Korea Ethics Business Award.
- The 13th Symposium on Giving Culture, Giving Korea is held.
- Planned Research Series by The Center on Philanthropy, [Study on Domestic Giving Volume Estimation] is published.
- Planned Research Series by The Center on Philanthropy, [Study on Domestic Giving, Voluntary Activity Analysis] is published.
- [Brand Raising : Nonprofit Brand Marketing Knowhow A to Z] the 7th volume in the Foundation’s philanthropic publishing series and the 7th translated work(into Korean) is published.
- [Brand Raising Seminar & Party for Nonprofit] is held.
- The 10th Kids Sharing Camp is held.
- [18-Year-Old Adult’s Independence Dream] Campaign for discharged from residential care adolescents is conducted.
- [2013 No Heat :Season2] Campaign for single=living elderly is conducted.
- I Disapprove Uneven Kid’s meal! [I Disapprove Season2] Campaign is held.
- The first sharing in lifetime, [First-Birthday Sharing Fairy Tale] event proceeds.
- Hope Store 10th Anniversary [Beautiful Women Changing the World] is held.
- Hope Store 10th Anniversary Project [The Most Beautiful Dance for The Most Beautiful You] with Ahn, Eunmi is held.
- Hope Store 10th Anniversary Report [Impact on Microcredit In Case of The Beautiful Foundation] is published.
- Hope Store 10th Anniversary Report [Social Impact Assessment : Beautiful Foundation Hope Store] is published.
- Dasomi [2013 Dasomi Hope Santa] event is held.
- Dasomi research [The Performance and Implication of Dasomi support project] is performed.
- The 12th International Symposium on Giving Culture, Giving Korea is held.
- Planned Research Series by The Center on Philanthropy, [A Study on the Legal System Reform to Vitalize Donation] is released.
- Planned Research Series by the Center on Philanthropy, [A Basic Study on Korean Non-governmental Public-Benefit Foundations] is released.
- Youth Talk Concert for Sharing, “Fox and Rose” is held.
- funding platform for public-benefit projects, “Social Funding Ant-Sponsor” is opened.
- Youth Talk Concert for Sharing, “Fox and Rose” is held.
- Online funding platform for public-benefit projects, “Social Funding Ant-Sponsor” is opened.
- The first sharing in lifetime, “First-Birthday Sharing” event proceeds.
- Heat Wave, “No Heat” campaign for single-living elderly is conducted.
- “I Disapprove” Campaign is conducted for rationalization of the government subsidy for meal plans of children and youth living in childcare facilities such as orphanages.
- Project for internal organizational analysis and capacity-building of nonprofit organizations proceeds.
- Nonprofit Online Communication Workshop is held.
- The 11th International Symposium on Giving Culture, Giving Korea is held.
- Planned Research Series by The Center on Philanthropy, [A Study on Planned Giving for Mitigation of the Aging Society Effect] is released.
- “1004Yen” campaign for helping victims of the Japanese earthquake is conducted.
- Aid project for starving children during school vacations, “Hunger 0 Zero” Campaign is conducted.
- “Commemorative Photo Exhibit Celebrating the 100th Branch of Hope Store”, start-up business assistance program for low-income single mothers is launched.
- [Building Donor Loyalty: The Fundraiser's Guide to Increasing Lifetime Value], the 6th volume in the Foundation's philanthropic publishing series and the 6th translated work (into Korean) is published.
- Media campaign on SisaIn, a Korean newsmagazine, [I Disapprove] is launched.
- New social care program, “Energy and Utility Assistance Program” is started.
- New social care program, “Fall Prevention Device Supplying Service for Older Adults” is started.
- Research Seminar for presentation on the study of planned giving is held.
- Beautiful Day Organ Donors Meeting is held.
- The Beautiful Meeting of the Foundation’s donors with Poet Jong-Hwan Do. “Poetry in Life.”
- “Oh Victory, Korea! Sharing and Cheer Festival” is held.
- [Robin Hood Marketing], the 5th volume in the Foundation's philanthropic publishing series and the 5th translated work (into Korean) is published.
- The 10th International Symposium on Giving Culture, Giving Korea is held.
- The Beautiful Foundation’s 10th anniversary website, “10 Years We Made with Sharing Together” is opened.
- The Beautiful Foundation’s 10th anniversary event, “Button Soup Festival” is held.
- The Beautiful Foundation’s 10th anniversary conference, “Questions about Sharing No One Has Answered” is held.
- Aid project for starving children during school vacations, “Hunger 0 Zero” Campaign is started.
- Media campaign on DongA Ilbo, a Korean newspaper, “Seeking a Korean Rainmaker” is conducted.
- Philanthropic education, “Kids Sharing Club” is started.
- Philanthropy Education Teacher Training is held.
- Media Campaign, “Sharing Flower Campaign” is held with Hankyoreh, a Korean newspaper.
- Forum for debating on tax system reform to vitalize donation is held.
- Marathoners run Charity Marathon on March 1st.
- Research Seminar for presentation on the finding of [a study for vitalization of high-class donation] is held.
- The1st Fundraising Expert School is co-hosted by the Beautiful Foundation and Hope Institute)
- Beautiful Butterfly Effect Campaign is launched.
- Beautiful Day Event with Woodprint Artist Chul Soo Lee is held.
- The 4th Beautiful Farewell School is held.
- The 5th year anniversary of GongGam - Seminar and Sponsor’s Night, “The Path to Raising Hope,” is held.
- The Beautiful Foundation finishes incubation of Happybean Project and collaboration with NHN, and a New Partnership Contract is established.
- [Fundraising Changes the World], the 4th volume in the Foundation's philanthropic publishing series and the 4th translated work (into Korean) is published.
- Indiana State University Foundation CEO leads a special lecture titled “Turning Economic Crisis into a Fundraising Opportunity.”
- Putting Wings on Books for Asia Campaign is opened.
- The 6th Kids Sharing Camp is held.
- The 2nd Nonprofit Conference titled “Hopeful Fundraising Solutions - Right Here” is held.
- The Beautiful Meeting with local donors in Busan is held.
- “One Tweet One Won” Campaign is started.
- Special Project Symposium on Supportive Environment and Future Prospective for Ireundeungi (premature babies) is opened.
- The 9th International Symposium on Giving Culture, Giving Korea 2009 is held.
- Publication about Hope Store is released.
- The Beautiful Foundation’s Research and Education Site is opened.
- Hanyang University’s 7th Anniversary International Symposium on Nonprofit Marketing, “Fundraising Strategies through Nonprofit Marketing,” is held.
- Year-end party with donors, “The Table of Sharing 2009 - Become a Flower Again” is held.
- Hope Store’s 50th Store Celebration Symposium, “Charitable Capital and New Beginnings” is held.
- “Hope Never Fails” Campaign is started.
- Philanthropy Education Teacher Training is held.
- Community Foundation Forum, “Community Foundations are the Hope of the Future?” is co-hosted by the Beautiful Foundation and Hope Institute in Korea.
- The Beautiful Store is spun off from the Beautiful Foundation.
- “Putting Wings on Books for Asia!” Season 2 Campaign is opened.
- “Rainbow Lego Block Banks, Collecting Dreams” Campaign begins.
- Last fundraising event for the “Save Utoro” Campaign is opened.
- Kids Sharing Camp is held.
- Community Foundation Workers Workshop is held.
- The Beautiful Meeting with local donors in Kangwon-province is held.
- The Beautiful Farewell School is held in She-gil Church.
- Grassroots Fundraising Awards are held.
- Donor of the Beautiful Foundation and Poet Yong-Tek Kim leads a lecture titled “Wise Life.”
- The 8th International Symposium on Giving Culture, Giving Korea 2008 is held.
- Year-end party with donors, “The Table of Sharing 2008 - One tree said to another tree…” is held.
- The 2nd Beautiful Farewell School for people to prepare for good-dying is held.
- The Center for Philanthropy Education Opening Ceremony is held.
- Have a meeting with local donors, “The Beautiful Meeting” is held in Daejun.
- The campaign for supplying immigrants from Asian countries with books written their native languages.
- “Putting Wings on Books for Asia” is conducted.
- “The 2007 Beautiful Sharing Camp” for children to learn about the value and joy of sharing is held.
- The 1st Nonprofit Conference is held.
- The Beautiful Foundation wins the Peter Drucker Award (awarded by the Peter Drucker Society).
- The 3rd Beautiful Farewell School is held.
- The 7th International Symposium on Giving Culture, Giving Korea 2007, is held
- The Beautiful Foundation’s 2007 Public Interest Award “Searching for Beautiful People” is held.
- End of the Year Campaign “Piggybank Opening Day” is held.
- Year-end party with donors, “The Table of Sharing 2007 - A Bright, Shining light” is held.
- The Beautiful Foundation USA's official opening ceremony is held.
- “We invite you as Citizen Fundraisers" Campaign is launched.
- “1% Sharing Campaign: Would you like a cup of tea with activists?” is opened.
- Philanthropy Education Teacher Training 2006 is held.
- The 1st Citizen Fundraisers' appointment ceremony is held.
- “1% Sharing Campaign: The Beautiful Wedding 1+1” is started.
- The 2nd Fundraising School is held.
- Have a meeting with local donors, “The Beautiful Meeting - Sunny Town Gwangju” in Gwangju.
- “The Beautiful Concert 2006 - The Beautiful Change @ 1% Sharing” is held.
- The 3rd Fundraising School is held.
- In-house Publisher of the Beautiful Foundation, "The Beautiful Book" is registered.
- Host the 6th International Symposium on Giving Culture, “GIVING KOREA 2006.”
- Offer Philanthropy Education Teacher Training for after school activists.
- The 1nd Beautiful Farewell School for people to prepare for good-dying is held.
- Year-end party with donors, “The Table of Sharing 2006 - A Very Special Present Made by Sharing” is held.
- "Stepping Stone Fund" is established to provide support for high school students from low-income families, as well as college tuition for orphans.
- Aid public benefit and civil organizations with Special Grant from “1% Fund.”
- "Happy Smile Fund" opens, offering support and medical aid for single mothers.
- "Gil Sarang(Loving the Road) Fund" is started by Um Hong-Gil, a well-known Korean mountain climber, in order to support cultural activities for handicapped people.
- The 1nd Fundraising School is held.
- Toyota Korea constructs the "Following Your Dream With Lexus Fund" to help pay tuition fees for high school students from low-income families.
- "Help Utoro Campaign" (Utoro is Korean town in Japan built during the Japanese colonization) is established to stop removal of the town.
- The Beautiful Foundation’s 5th Anniversary Ceremony, "Happy Moments, Beautiful Memories" is held.
- Hosted the 5th International Symposium on Giving Culture, "GIVING KOREA 2005."
- GongGam, the first ever non-profit public interest lawyers' group in Korea, is founded.
- Hara Welfare Foundation donated all of its assets, totaling 1.4 billion won, to the Beautiful Foundation to support specialized talent and extra-curricular education for underprivileged children.
- Poet Do Jong-Hwan donates 1% of the royalties from the sale of his anthology "Every Person is a Flower" to help underprivileged high school students pay their tuition fees.
- "The Sharing Pizza Campaign: 3082 Beautiful Pizza Party," with Domino's Pizza. Domino's Pizza donated 3082 pizzas to social welfare organizations.
- The staff of Dajanggeum, a wildly popular Korean drama series, donated 14 million won raised in an auction.
- SK Telecom donated the subscription fees from their "Beautiful Telephone Call Campaign" to support muscle treatment for severely handicapped children.
- Media Campaign, "Beautiful World with Sharing," with Hankyoreh, a Korean newspaper is conducted.
- The Center on Philanthropy at the Beautiful Foundation opens to conduct systemic and scientific research on giving practices throughout Korea and the world.
- Actress Lee Young-Ae donated 30 million won to supply equipment to assist disabled people.
- The first Hope Store, "Mi Jae Yeon" (meaning Beautiful, Interesting, and Environmentally Friendly table), opens with support from the "Beautiful World Fund.”
- "Poverty Experience Campaign: Living One Month at the Minimum Living Cost," begins, with the hope of making the minimum living cost more realistic.
- "Philanthropy Education Campaign," to teach sharing to children is opened.
- [Give to Live: How Giving Can Change Your Life], the 3rd volume in the Foundation's philanthropic publishing series and the 3rd translated work (into Korean) is published.
- The 4th International Symposium on Giving Culture, "GIVING KOREA 2004" is held.
- "The Beautiful Concert 2004" is held.
- "Secret Christmas Project" is held for the second time. Presents are given to low-income children studying in local community study rooms.
- "Silver Fund" is opened with Song Hyung-Rae's National Pension donation.
- The National Theater of Korea donates 5% of its seats.
- Year-round TV campaign "365 Days, Warm World" with MBC is held.
- SOS Campaign, "Sharing Ddok-Guk," (Ddok-Guk is a soup that is traditionally eaten in Korea on Lunar New Year) to supply rice to low-income seniors.
- E-Land donates one billion won to start the "Sharing the Sorrow Fund" to support the bereaved families of victims of the Daegu subway fire that killed more than 190 passengers.
- SOS Campaign, with proceeds going to the "Sharing the Sorrow Fund" is launched.
- The Beautiful Foundation becomes a member of COF (Council of Foundations).
- "Beautiful World Fund" is inaugurated with a five billion won donation from Suh Sung-Hwan, the Honorable Chairman of Amore Pacific, to support low-income single mothers in starting new businesses.
- "Vacation Expenses 1% Sharing Campaign" begins, contributing to the "Finding a Hope on the Road Fund."
- The 3rd International Symposium on Giving Culture, "GIVING KOREA 2003" is held.
- "Sharing a Drop of Water and a Ray of Light Fund" opens in order to support homes that have had their electricity and water cut off.
- SOS Campaign to support "Galileea," a day care center for the children of migrant workers.
- Pay training costs and provided equipment to the Sung Shim School baseball team, which is composed of players with hearing difficulties, through the "Sung Jin-Woo Fund." Sung Jin-Woo is a professional baseball player here in Korea.
- Support check-ups and medical expenses for low-income single mothers with the "Your Sunshine Fund."
- "Secret Christmas Project" is held, providing presents to low-income children studying in local community study rooms.
- "Making a Warmer World to Live In” Online Campaign is launched, in cooperation with the Joong-Ang Ilbo
- "The Beautiful Concert 2002" is held.
- "The Beautiful 1% Sharing Campaign" is launched, in association with the KBS Radio "We Are a Family" team.
- Park Kyung-Lim and Park Soo-Hong's "ParkGoTae Project" (a recording by two comedians, sold along the highways of Korea) is launched. The 150 million won that is raised is used to help 12 children with leukemia.
- "Your Sunshine Fund" is established with a 100 million won donation from Jung Hee-Kyung, Chief Director of Chung Kang Cultural Foundation.
- "Oh, Pilseung Korea (Oh, Victory to Korea!) Fund" is built to support athletic activities of underprivileged, handicapped youths.
- "Work by Day, Study by Night Fund" is established to support young people preparing for qualification exams for middle or high school. This fund was started by Jeffrey Johns of AMCHAM (The American Chamber of Commerce in Korea).
- "Lamp Light Fund" is opened to support the bereaved children of city cleaning workers and firemen. Started by Lee Myung-Bak (Former Mayor of Seoul Metropolitan City and the 17th President of Korea).
- "The 1st SOS Online Campaign for Relief" is held to aid flood victims.
- The 2nd International Symposium on Giving Culture, "GIVING KOREA 2002" is held.
- [Is Fundraising an Adventure?], the 2nd volume in The Foundation's philanthropic publishing series, is published (The original title was The Grass Roots Fundraising Book: How to Raise Money in Your Community, by Joan Flanagan).
- Official ceremony to launch "The 1% Sharing Campaign."
- The 1st International Symposium on Giving Culture, GIVING KOREA 2001 is held.
- "The Beautiful Concert 2001" is hosted.
- The Foundation's first corporate social contribution program is launched (with Hansol Education).
- A donation party to celebrate the first anniversary of the Foundation, "A Mid Summer Night's Christmas Party" is held.
- "Making a Better World of Sharing Campaign" is launched, in association with Korea's six major portal sites.
- [The Beautiful Collaboration], the 1st volume in the Foundation's philanthropic publishing series and the 1st translated work (into Korean) is published (The original title was Common Interest Common Good: Creating Value Through Business and Social Sector Partnerships, by Shirley Sagawa and Eli Segal).
- "Mindeullae(Dandelion) Culture Award" for achievements in promoting philanthropic culture is awarded.
- Year-end party with donors, "The Table of Sharing 2001” is held.
- [The Beautiful 1%], a magazine featuring stories of the donors to the Foundation, is published.
- The Beautiful Foundation is launched with its first general meeting.
- "Grandma Kim Gun-Ja Fund" is established with a cash donation of 50 million won. This was the Foundation's first donor-advised fund.
- "Yoo Moo-Chong Archive," Korea's first non-profit fundraising databank, opens.
- Media Campaign, "The Most Beautiful Way of Spending Campaign" is re-launched, in cooperation with the Dong-A Ilbo.
- "Giving Store," the Foundation's first 1% profit sharing shop, opens at Dongsung Art Center.
- "The Beautiful 1% Sharing Campaign" is launched.
- Online donation campaign with DongA.com begins.
- "Table of Giving 2000" is held.
- "The Most Beautiful Way of Spending Campaign" and "Inheritance 1% Sharing Campaign" are launched.
- Establishment of the Beautiful Foundation as Korea's first community foundation is proposed.
Structures & Board
- Investment Committee
- Grantmaking Committee
- Endowment Consultation Committee
- Fund Development Committee
- Talent-Giving Committee
- Dasomi Committee
- Resource Mobilization Div.
- Pledge 1% & Marketing Team
- Major Gift Team
- Donor Cultivation Team
- Impact & Transformation Div.
- Impact & Transformation Team
- Corporate Related Team
- Hope Store
- Research & Education Team
- Operation Management Div.
- Branding & Public Relationship Team
- Finance & Accounting Team
- Human Resource & Administration Team
- Web Team
- 6, Jahamun-ro 19-gil, Jongno-gu, Seoul, 110-035 Rep. of KOREA
- +82-2-766-1004 (+82-2-6930-4564, Yun-ju Jang)
- Q.Can I donate to the Beautiful Foundation by credit card or mobile phone?
- Beautiful Foundation offers many different donation options. You can donate cash or by account transfer, CMS [Cash Management Service (Account Deduction)], ATS (Automatic Transmission System), credit card, or mobile phone. You can also donate with a casher's check; this is relatively uncommon in Korea, though. In the case of CMS, if you choose either the 1st or 25th as your withdrawal date the money will be transferred to the Beautiful Foundation automatically on that day. You can find more detailed information in Korean website (www.beautifulfund.org).
- Q.My donation is transferred from my account every month. How can I change the amount of my donation?
- If you want to change the donation amount, you can either call the Beautiful Foundation (82-2-766-1004) or go to the "Donation Information" area on the Beautiful Foundation homepage. If you cannot read Korean, please call the Foundation and ask for language assistance (English)
- Q.I want to donate something else, such as a talent or specialty, instead of money. I speak many languages and have lots of experience as an interpreter (for example). How can I apply as a volunteer?
- Thank you for your questions about talent and specialty donation! If you want to donate your talent or specialty, you can call the Beautiful Foundation (82-2-766-1004) or check the homepage (www.beautifulfund.org) to apply. Please feel free to contact us by e-mail(firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Q.How much of a tax deduction can I get when I donate to the Beautiful Foundation?
- The Beautiful Foundation is a legal fundraising organization. This means that the Foundation can issue receipts for donations. If you donate, you can get a tax deduction at the end of the year within 10% of your total earned income.
- Q.I'm a non-Korean living in Korea. Can non-Korean citizens donate to the Beautiful Foundation? Are there any explanatory meetings or lectures related to donating in English or other languages?
- Those of any nationality are welcome to donate to the Beautiful Foundation. Donation by non-Koreans, including the CEOs of foreign corporations, is increasing. The Beautiful Foundation is constantly increasing the range and scope of its English materials. Feel free to contact the Foundation office for more detailed information and explanations related to donations and the Beautiful Foundation. Address: 6, Jahamun-ro 19-gil, Jongno-gu, Seoul, 110-035, KOREA Email: email@example.com
- Q.I want to build a fund in the Beautiful Foundation. What is the process?
- Any individual, corporation, or organization that wants to build a fund in the Beautiful Foundation should first make inquiries and hold discussions. It's good to have some idea of the scale, use of the fund, and fundraising plans for future operation. Foundation staff will then consult with you, answering any questions that you have, offering suggestions, and putting your ideas into action.
- Q.Does the Beautiful Foundation have any foreign aid plans?
- The Beautiful Foundation has around 200 funds. Each fund has different purposes. Most of those funds support Korean organizations and individuals. The Foundation offers support to foreign organizations and individuals through the International NGO Solidarity Fund, which supports solidarity efforts among international NGOs, specifically in the operation of the Korean NGO's Asian Center, located in the Philippines, and The Healthy Forest Fund, which supports the education and rights of migrant workers, a marginalized and underserved part of our society. The Beautiful Foundation is planning on expanding foreign aid through close cooperation with other organizations abroad.
- Q.I want to help children in my neighborhood. Can I help through the Beautiful Foundation?
- All donor recommendations will be taken into consideration during the distribution process. The Beautiful Foundation doesn't execute appointed donations, though. All recipients are chosen by public subscription. We aim to distribute with equitability, consistency, and a clear plan, finding and supporting unknown devoted public benefit organizations and needy people.
- Q.Does the Beautiful Foundation have a fixed distribution period?
- The aid periods of The Beautiful Foundation are different depending on the particular fund, as distribution takes place according to fund. The Foundation executes fund distribution throughout the year. You can check the Foundation's busy distribution schedule through the website's Distribution Calendar.
- Q.There are differences between fund scale and real distribution scale. Why is the amount of distributions smaller than the amount of funds donated?
- The Beautiful Foundation is operated by donations from normal citizens, not by large donations from a company or an individual. When the Foundation was established, the distribution scale was small because the Foundation didn't have enough of a budget for distribution. Since customization of donation in 2003, however, the scale of distribution has steadily increased. The reason why the Foundation doesn't use all donations gathered is to increase principle. The Beautiful Foundation regards continuous support and growth as more important than a massive, one-time grant. Making funds bigger is a basic step for the future.
- Q.How is the Beautiful Foundation run? What is the portion of government subsidy?
- The Beautiful Foundation has to manage its own internal affairs: office rental, taxes, payment of staff members, etc. The Beautiful Foundation uses 13% of donations for management costs. This is a very small amount, especially in comparison to other foundations and nonprofits in Korea and abroad. To supplement shortages, the Beautiful Foundation accepts separate operation sponsorships. Operation sponsorship is made up of donations from those who want to support the Foundation's working expenses.
- Q.When I see the Beautiful Foundation's publicity and advertising, the focus is generally on donors. It is very rare to see stories about recipients. Does the Beautiful Foundation withhold recipient information on purpose?
- A basic principle of the Beautiful Foundation is not to publicize recipient information. The rights and privacy of recipients should be protected and considered as important as those of donors. The Beautiful Foundation also wants to avoid and overcome the existing philanthropic-culture tendency to appeal to momentary sympathy in order to solicit donations. The Foundation hopes to show the importance and uses of donations through donor stories that are ordinary but beautiful. When the Foundation shares donor stories, it is only with their agreement. The Foundation shares recipient stories from time to time if the recipients express such a desire.
- Q.What is the relationship between the Beautiful Foundation and the Beautiful Store?
- The Beautiful Foundation is the Beautiful Store's mother organization. The Foundation and the Store have the same roots and share philosophy and virtues. However, in the interests of effective management the Foundation and Store have separate executive offices. The Beautiful Foundation focuses on donation of funds and the Beautiful Store takes charge of the donation of products.
- Q.I have lots of belongings and goods that I would like to get rid of. Because they are still useful, I want to donate them. How can I donate them?
- The Beautiful Foundation generally doesn't accept product donations. However, the Beautiful Store will welcome them with open arms. When you want to donate any belongings or goods, please call the Beautiful Store (82-2-3676-1004), or check their website www.beautifulstore.org/english for more information. If necessary, product pick-up can be arranged.